Saturday, August 16, 2008

Early August

It’s 12:15 am and Gus has just curled up beside me. I spent the day with my dad who is visiting from California.

I went this great place for coffee this morning and mingled with the counter culture…drinking my dark coffee while playing online scrabble…the wifi password was “skeletons”…a good morning exploring a different nook of the SLC. At 11:40 dad’s plane had landed and I took the ten-minute drive out to the airport.

I gave dad a great tour of the city starting with a farmer’s market experience. We sampled a lot but only left carrying 4 ears of corn. Dad said he got a good taste of community and got a kick out of the Jack Mormon coffee co. He took lots of pictures and continues to refer to himself as a “Japanese tourist”. We had lunch at Café Molise just down the road from the Outdoor Retailer madness. I love seeing all the fit people out and about. We had a nice table in the shade on the sidewalk and really enjoyed our meal of pasta, chicken, and salad. The conversation was flowing. Next, I showed him the downtown library, that is, once I found it. He enjoyed the design and architecture immensely. We sipped coffee on the roof while watching an afternoon storm roll in. It was really pleasant. Next we went to the U so he could see Nate’s office (or what had been since last week). Dad expressed that he wished Nate were with us. Me too. I took him to see Realms and all it’s funkiness and finally to our home.

In the afternoon we tackled the electrical problem that has been a mystery and a royal pain in the ass for the past week. Took at trip to Home Depot with dad (very cliché) and bought some supplies. We stopped tracing wires and testing outlets for electricity at 7:15 so we could catch our movie/dinner at Brewvies.

Once home, dad solved the electrical issue and we sat and talked-very heart to heart- about life. I am so enjoying this time with my dad. It is very special that he is here. Tomorrow breakfast, a hike, fix-a faucet, and dinner at Frescos.

Nate is climbing for the next three days in the Winds. I pick him up on Tuesday and we will spend some time in Lander with Nick for a few days.

No comments: